Traditionally a new calendar year symbolizes a new chapter opening in the book of your life. A blank page waiting to be written, a restart. But while so many people like you wish to achieve something, according to researches, only about 10% will ever experience the sweet taste of accomplishment. Sounds bad? Yes, it is pretty bad. Chances to fail are 90%.
I was making a reflection on why that happens while observing my Jiu-Jitsu new members starting their practice in this first week of the year. Many new faces, but unfortunately the majority of them have high changes to not be an academy member by the end of the year. I watch this movie every year.
And it’s not anybody’s fault, it happens everywhere in fitness gyms and academies of all kinds. And here are the reasons my reflection on the issue has revealed:
- You are a “short term” thinker – Life is just like a marathon and not a sprint run. As a marathon requires, you need to plan for it. You need to plan resources, get some practice (so you can have an idea if that is for you) and set goals. I will talk about goals later, but the thing is that most people want it ALL and want it right NOW. Don’t try to change your whole lifestyle in January, because that will certainly be too much. Start with small changes and victories. Walk a 5K race, then run a 5K, then go to 10K, 15K, 21K and that’s how you will get to complete a marathon! Want to lose weight? Start by adding one good habit per week on your daily diet. Drink more water first, quit fast food second, eat more veggies next, add some quality protein in the meals in the sequence, etc., etc.
- Too much thinking, less action - There is a time to be a planner; there is a time to doer. Many people stop in the planning once they realize that the “doing part” will be in fact pretty hard (it does not have to be, if you go back to the point before). So, it does not matter how ready you are or how much knowledge you got for accomplishing certain project, if your ATTITUDE fails, you will never finish anything in life. Be more pragmatic and get things done!
- You do not enjoy the process – when you see eating right as a chore and exercise as a penalty, things are not well. The best fitness routine is the one that does not cause disturbance in your daily life. Don’t add stress to your day. The goal is exactly the opposite, remove the stress and make things pleasant. Nobody could to do something that hates consistently for too long. Once I read an interview with one of the best Brazilian swimmers and several times gold medalist in the Olympic Games saying that sometimes is hard to get in the pool in the morning that he felt like he was going to puke in the water … That happens to everyone, because there are not 100% of good days in life. But I am sure he enjoys 99% of his sports practice.
- You do not have a goal – “What gets measured gets done!” Yes, this is so true; people do not have a “solid”, “specific”, “realistic” and measurable goal set when they think on New Year’s resolutions. Tracking progress is key to any project accomplishment. Instead, people just say: “I want to Lose Weight”. When the correct thinking would be “I want to lose 2 pounds per month until the end of the year”. That would be the perfect goal statement. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time bound. Specialists call it a “SMART” goal.
- You have no social support – That’s so hard to be alone in your projects, because people do not motivate you to follow on the right direction. You need to have support from your family to start with. If you will make your family unhappy every time you are absent to practice a sport, then you should rethink on your plans and negotiate the schedule will cause the minimum disturbance of your family affairs. Friend must be in the equation as well. How about to post in your social media timeline inviting your followers to be your accountability partners? So, an extra help and motivation will come to you for helping on your journey. And this is at same time an extra commitment you are making. Now, it’s not you to be disappointed in case of a failure. The more people, the more the strength of your mission. Spread the world!
- You don’t now your WHY – for anything in life you need a “reason why”. That is the fundamental of your motivation. Motivation = motive + action. And probably this is one of the major things here. It’s important to know if, for example, you want to be fit to become a positive example to your children or feel more confident and sexy? The reason why matters and that is what should come to your mind when you about to give up!
- You do not believe in yourself – wow, that’s so powerful because your mind plays tricks on you. If you think you can’t then your body probably can’t go on. But impossible is nothing and whatever your mind believes will become reality. Even if you failed in the past trying to accomplish the same thing, do not let that negative thinking disturb your plans. You can do better this time, because you are better prepared and have more confidence in you. I always tell to my students: “The black belt is the white belt that never gave up”.
Have a Great Year!
Picture: Renzo Gracie and Rilion Gracie - Credits: Ray Santana
Blog Living Legacy by Gracie Essentials
TAGS: New Year Resolution, Jiu-Jitsu, Lifestyle, Health, Fitness, Protein, Jiu-Jitsu, Whey